The Roeper School is a co-educational independent school serving gifted students in grades Pre-K through 12. We are seeking a full-time Health Teacher for the Middle and Upper Schools to join our Birmingham campus faculty for the 2020-2021 school year.
We seek a teacher with expertise in health education and experience in teaching students strategies to encourage physical, mental and social wellbeing. The position requires comprehensive knowledge of age appropriate health education topics and strong connections with community health and wellness organizations. The preferred candidate will demonstrate competency as a classroom educator who can confidently educate students on a variety of health topics including sensitive subjects. The position requires a willingness and ability to adapt skills and content-based instruction for asynchronous, gifted learners with their unique capabilities, intensities and needs. Preference will be given to candidates who are able to demonstrate skill in designing, developing, and delivering curriculum for gifted students.
Roeper students expect engaging classes that are challenging and participatory. Roeper teachers are expected to foster a classroom culture that celebrates purpose, relevance, respect, energy, creativity, diversity and opportunity.
- Develop and deliver a student-centered health education program tailored to gifted adolescent students
- Develop, implement, and sustain classroom curriculum which fosters self-awareness, self-advocacy, collaborative skills and empathy
- Review and develop the scope and sequence of health education that is developmentally appropriate, addresses state and national standards, and expands on these standards to include Roeper-specific health and well-being goals
- Deliver health education curriculum which promote strategies to encourage physical, mental and social wellbeing
- Course offerings may include Health, Human Sexuality, Relationships and Life Skills
- Work with community health and wellness organizations to enhance student learning
- Facilitate the social and emotional development of the students and nurture their development with care and consideration of each student holistically
- Utilize knowledge of a variety of instructional and assessment methods, integrated use of technology, and demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Serve as a faculty advisor to a Middle or Upper School student advisory group
- Collaborate with colleagues to coordinate scope and sequence of disciplinary skills
- Utilize Restorative Justice principles to facilitate problem solving between students and among peers
- Assess students individually, primarily through narrative reports that focus on holistic growth
- Share student progress with parents through communication including conferences and progress reports
- Maintain effective communication with students, teachers, colleagues, and administration
- Collaborate with Middle and Upper School faculty on school wide initiatives and support of education through varied activities including meeting attendance, committee participation, events and extended field trips
- Provide support to Middle and Upper School to meet overall mission of The Roeper School
- Embrace and implement a multicultural and culturally relevant curriculum, in accordance with Roeper’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
The preferred candidate will have:
- Experience teaching health topics to Middle and Upper school students
- Knowledge/experience working with gifted learners
- Excellent instructional and communication skills
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively to contribute and reach objectives
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Health Science or Education, or another relevant field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred. A minimum of three to five years of teaching experience at the secondary level is preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, candidate inquiry answers and list of three professional references to
- What is your statement of educational philosophy?
- Describe how your previous work experience and education have prepared you for this position.
- Describe your professional experience working in a collaborative partnership in an educational environment.
- What is your desired salary for the position for which you are applying?
The School seeks faculty and staff who are outstanding educators, teachers and professionals. They are individuals who lead in the classroom and guide our students with respect for the mission and philosophy of the School.
As a non-profit independent school, Roeper offers competitive salary and benefits. The School’s benefits program includes medical, dental, disability, life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; flexible spending account for medical expenses and dependent care; 403(b) Savings and Match Plan and professional development funding.
For more information about The Roeper School, visit our Website: www.roeper.org No phone calls please.
The Roeper School is deeply committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.