Important Coronavirus Update 3.12.20
March 12, 2020
Dear Roeper Community,
I have been working closely with Oakland County officials and community experts on how we as a school can best respond to the challenges presented by the Coronavirus. All of the information from CDC, Oakland Health Department, the World Health Organization, and local experts reminds us of the importance of social distancing as the most critical step in mitigation practices against the virus.
We have seen cities cancel large gatherings including parades, conferences, and meetings. Governor Whitmer is continuing to share new State guidelines and has emphasized the need for minimizing group gatherings as a mitigating strategy. Responses from Universities, the NCAA, and even the NBA remind us of our responsibility to coordinate our efforts toward care for the community.
Today, I want to share actions The Roeper School is taking in support of both preparation for online learning and mitigation through social distancing.
Preparation for Online Learning
• As we continue to construct plans for the continuation of teaching and learning we have decided to close our school for two days to provide faculty and staff with valuable time to prepare. We are cancelling school this Monday and Tuesday March 16-17 for students only.
• We will use these days for teacher professional development with our Technology teams. This will provide us with time to practice the implementation of our online tools, discuss the schedule of operations, and expectations when using this medium for teaching and learning.
• Please know this decision does not mean that we have any cases of Coronavirus in our community - we do not - and it does not mean we are closed beyond this Friday, March 20. We plan to return to school on Monday March 23rd.
Parent Teacher Conferences
Consistent with our focus on social distancing, we are cancelling in-person parentteacher conferences on Wednesday and Thursday March 18-19. We will move forward with phone conferences as a way of maintaining communication home on student progress this semester. Information will be following on our process for these phone sessions.
Trips and Activities
Out of an abundance of caution we will be cancelling trips and events that extend beyond the student body through the spring break. After the break, we will reassess the opportunity to reschedule these programs based on area conditions and the need to continue social distancing.
Cancelled events include, but are not limited to:
• All Field Trips through Spring Break • All Middle and Upper school athletic competitions or athletic travel through Spring Break
• Stage IV Volleyball • Summer Camp Open House – March 14
• Performances of the Middle School Play – Matilda • The Town Hall Meeting on Scheduling – March 16
• Middle/Upper School Admissions Open House – March 25 • SENG • Boys District Championship Basketball Game, Friday, March 13th
• We will continue to engage interested families in our admissions process by phone or through virtual meetings; however, we are postponing our March 25 Open House, all on-sight student visits, and all on-sight parent interviews/tours until after Spring Break.
We find ourselves in unprecedented times; know that our entire Roeper Team is working thoughtfully to care for the health of both the Roeper community and the larger health of our global population. As citizens of the world, we must respond deliberately and with care for the well-being of the world community.
We are trying to be methodical, compassionate, and focused on making science-based decisions for our whole community. Our children need us to be thoughtful and reflective; we cannot act from a place of fear or anxiety nor cause undue alarm with rumor or misunderstanding.
Good hygiene – beginning with handwashing, staying away from sick people, not touching your face, and staying home when you are sick remain the best ways to prevent this and many other viral illnesses.
I will continue to provide updates to the community and add additional resources to the MyRoeper Page – please follow these updates under the tab labeled Coronavirus.
This is a global challenge and we are each doing our best to make good choices that keep us safe and healthy. I send my virtual embrace and love to each of you for your thoughtfulness and care. We will work through this challenge in partnership.