Congratulations to Steven Raphael for being one of 7,500 high school seniors throughout the U.S. to win the National Merit Scholarship, a prize of $2500. The original pool of applicants who took the SAT as Juniors to qualify was approximately 1.5 million.
In addition to being a National Merit Scholarship winner, Steven is a Student Government representative, a Math Clinic Assistant, and plays the trumpet in the Concert and Jazz bands. For his senior project, he created and is teaching a course called "Introduction to Computer Programming using Python" to a group of Roeper Middle School students. Steven plans to attend MIT in the fall where he will study Computer Science.
His other accomplishments include:
- 1st place winner (3-way tie) of the 2019 Michigan Math Prize Competition
- Member of the Michigan All-Stars Math Team which participates in high school math competitions around the country. This season the team placed:
- 2nd overall at the 2020 Harvard-MIT Math Tournament
- 3rd overall at the 2020 Carnegie Mellon Informatics and Math Competition
- 4th overall at the 2019 Princeton University Math Competition
- 2020 American Mathematics Competition Distinguished Honor Roll
- 2019 College Board AP Scholar with Distinction
- 1st Place Winner of The American Mathematical Society's "Who Wants To Be a Mathematician" 2019 regional game
- 2019 USA Physics Olympiad - Silver Medal
- 2019 USA Computing Olympiad - Platinum Division
- 2018 Robofest World Championship - 1st Place Senior Division Team
- 2018 Math Olympiad Summer Program (MOP) attendee at Carnegie Mellon University
Thank you, Steven, for representing Roeper in in so many arenas and in such a distinquished way!