The Roeper School is a co-educational independent school serving gifted students in grades Pre-K through twelve. We are seeking a part-time 60% FTE, Music Teacher for the Lower School (Preschool – Grade 5) to join our Bloomfield Hills campus faculty for the 2019 - 2020 school year.
The Music Teacher delivers vocal and general music curriculum for students in
Stages I – IV. The music education curriculum may include vocal performance, Music Theory, Music History, and Music within contemporary culture. Classes will foster appreciation and respect for the art, an understanding of what goes into the creation of music as an art form and an appreciation of music as a form of communication within multiple cultures.
- Teach a variety of classes from general music to choir
- Demonstrate abilities with vocal pedagogy, resulting in developing healthy singing voices in children
- Collaborate with Lower School faculty and make interdisciplinary connections
- Supervise vocal rehearsals for all vocal music events, including the Stage IV musical
- Oversee spring musical including rehearsals, set blocking, design sets and costumes
- Conduct community performances with Stage IV choir
- Embrace and implement a multicultural and culturally relevant curriculum, in accordance with Roeper's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Share student progress with parents through communication including conferences and progress reports
- Collaborate with Lower School faculty on school wide initiatives and support of education through varied activities including faculty meeting attendance, committee participation and providing supervision for lunch, recess, and after school duty
- Provides support to the Music Program and the Lower School to meet overall mission of The Roeper School
- Maintain effective communication with students, parents, teachers, colleagues and administration
The preferred candidate will have:
- Experience teaching music to elementary school students
- Knowledge/experience working with gifted learners
- Excellent instructional and communication skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and creativity in course content
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Music Education, Music or other relevant field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
A minimum of three to five years of experience teaching music in an elementary school is preferred.
The School seeks faculty and staff who are outstanding educators, teachers and professionals. They are individuals who lead in the classroom and guide our students with respect for the mission and philosophy of the School.
As a non-profit independent School, Roeper offers competitive salary and benefits. The School’s benefits program includes medical, dental, disability, life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; flexible spending account for medical expenses and dependent care; 403(b) Savings and Match Plan and professional development funding.
For more information about The Roeper School, visit our Website: www.roeper.org
No phone calls please.
The Roeper School is deeply committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, candidate inquiry answers and list of three professional references via CareerBuilder