Faculty Position 2021-2022 School Year, Full-time
Spanish Teacher, Lower School
(Preschool – Grade 5)
The Roeper School is a co-educational independent school serving gifted students in grades Pre-K through twelve. Our Lower School has an in person, full-time Spanish Teacher position available for the current school year. We are seeking a creative and engaging teacher to join our faculty and introduce and teach the Spanish language to Preschool through Grade 5
students at our Bloomfield Hills campus.
We seek a Modern World Language Teacher who is fluent in Spanish and will provide an intellectually challenging and creative program with developmentally appropriate and research based practices. Our excellent student-teacher ratios allow for individualized instruction and education of the whole child.
We are looking for a highly motivated and creative person who works well as part of teams as well as independently. The ideal candidate will be familiar with American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) standards, methodologies of teaching language with comprehensible input, and be ready to work in a proficiency-based program with emphasis on communication.
- Use Modern World Language best practices to teach Spanish to Lower School students
- Implement an academically strong, child-centered and differentiated curriculum to gifted children
- Identify and meet the diverse needs of learners by being flexible and using creative approaches
- Collaborate with Lower, Middle and Upper School Spanish department faculty to develop scope and sequence of Spanish program
- Work closely with a team of language and homeroom teachers to coordinate horizontal and vertical curricular approaches
- Facilitate the social and emotional development of the students in potentially mixed-age classes
- Utilize a variety of instructional and assessment methods, integrated use of technology, and excellent communication skills
- Share student progress with parents through communication including conferences and progress reports
- Collaborate with classroom teachers on cross-curricular units to support student development
- Embrace and implement a multicultural and culturally relevant curriculum, in accordance with Roeper's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Maintain effective communication with teachers, colleagues and administration
- Collaborate with Lower School faculty on school wide initiatives and support of education through varied activities including faculty meeting attendance, committee participation and providing supervision for lunch, recess, and after school duty
- Support World Languages program and the school to meet overall mission of The Roeper School
The preferred candidate will have:
- Fluency in the Spanish language is required
- Experience teaching elementary school students
- Excellent instructional and communication skills
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively to contribute and reach objectives
- Knowledge/experience working with gifted learners
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Spanish, Education or other relevant field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred. A minimum of three to five years of teaching experience in an elementary school is preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, candidate inquiry answers and
list of three professional references to
Meghan Stott, Lower School Director
- What is your statement of educational philosophy?
- Describe how your previous work experience and education have prepared you for this position.
- Describe your experience teaching a developmentally appropriate language program to students.
- Describe your professional experience working in a collaborative partnership in an educational environment.
- What is your desired salary for the position for which you are applying?
The School seeks faculty and staff who are outstanding educators, teachers, and professionals. They are individuals who lead in the classroom and guide our students with respect for the mission and philosophy of the School.
As a non-profit independent school, Roeper offers competitive salary and benefits. The School’s benefits program includes medical, dental, vision, disability, life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; flexible spending account for medical expenses and dependent care; 403(b) Savings and Match Plan and professional development funding.
For more information about The Roeper School, visit our Website: www.roeper.org
The Roeper School is deeply committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.