Skip to main content
The Roeper School was founded by educational pioneers George and Annemarie Roeper and uniquely addresses the comprehensive academic and emotional needs of gifted and talented children from pre-kindergarten through high school. George and Annemarie were refugees from Germany, witnesses to the moral cataclysm of Hitler’s Third Reich. Once in this country, the couple dedicated themselves to creating an environment in which a powerful few would never again be able to impose their will upon an unchallenging majority. They set out to achieve their goal through education by opening a school in 1941. The school moved to the Bloomfield Hills campus in 1946 and was designated a school for gifted children in 1956. The Upper School program was added in 1965, and the Middle/Upper School moved to the Birmingham campus in the fall of 1981.
George and Annemarie had a deep and permanent impact on humanistic education in this region and around the world. During their career, the two were continuously engaged in examining how best to attend to the distinctive and critical mission of educating gifted children. George died in 1992 and Annemarie died in 2012. The school they founded continues to be a highly valued resource in gifted education, consulting on educational projects as varied as the creation of the Children’s Television Workshop, producers of Sesame Street, to publications of the President’s Council on Gifted Education. The school itself publishes the Roeper Review, a peer-reviewed, professional quarterly devoted to gifted education research and inquiry.
main: 248.203.7300 fax: 248.203.7310 email: firstname.lastname@example.org